This old and new world collection is available for you to purchase and take home, or enjoy at your table *. With an inventory of over 100 different bottles there is sure to be a wine for every pallet and budget. Ask your Host or server for details.
* a $10 cork fee is applied when opened in the restaurant.
$10.99 for Adults
$9.99 for Seniors
Children 3-10 are half off
Children 2 and under are free
*************DO NOT FORGET TO CALL AND MAKE RESERVATIONS***************
Visit our upcoming events to hear news about some new additions that are coming very soon!
Built Along the Sandusky River
The Pioneer Mill of Tiffin stands on the same site as the original Tiffin dam built in 1822.
Enjoy a formal dinner in our historic dining room, a casual experience on our elevated deck or dinner by the fire in Tinkers Dam. We have a vast menu to accommodate every taste, featuring: USDA Choice Prime Rib and Weekly Fresh Seafood Specials.
Visit The Pioneer Mill of Tiffin. We are on the national register of historic places in recognition of our background. During the War of 1812, General James Hedges spent some time at Fort Ball, one of the string of forts built along the Sandusky River. Impressed with the area, he convinced his brother, Josiah Hedges, to visit. Josiah was also impressed – enough so that he purchased a large acreage across the river from the fort. A wealthy, energetic, shrewd and somewhat ruthless man, he immediately set forth to develop a town – a town that would be called Tiffin, after a governor he much admired.
In 1822, Josiah built a dam, a mill and a home – the first structures in Tiffin. This massive undertaking kept over 40 men busy for a year, since everything had to be done by hand and oxen power. The original dam was wood, as was the mill building. However, the basement walls were constructed of the stone quarried from the mill’s raceway. The current building was constructed on those same foundation walls after a fire in 1875 destroyed the original wooden building.
A major flood roared through Tiffin in 1913, leaving devastation behind, but the mill survived. The flood created the “stone island,” a two-acre mound of bricks and paving stones that were deposited just downstream from the existing island. These bricks and stones were crushed with grinders powered by the mill and used to repave the streets of Tiffin, especially River Road (presently Riverside Drive).
In 1921, the carriage house was built and a new stone dam was constructed just in front of the original wooden dam.
Starting in 1925 and continuing for the next decade, the water-powered electric generator was used to recharge batteries for 25 cents a charge. The millwheels may be viewed in the waterwheel room.
Another fire struck in April of 1937, nearly gutting the mill and partially destroying the back wall. The building was rebuilt without the third floor or pillars on the second floor, creating a more versatile, open space. The milling equipment was replaced and the mill continued to grind flour and meal until 1950.
The next few years saw the old mill building rented to various individuals and used for everything from a feed store to a carpentry shop. Finally, in 1973, a group of local businessmen conceived the idea of transforming it into a restaurant.
After much planning and development, The Pioneer Mill of Tiffin restaurant opened for business on October 3, 1974 and was placed on the national register of historic places in recognition of its background.